Question:

From Dobson, North Carolina, USA:

My two year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. Would high blood sugars in excess of 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] before bedtime cause her to be more hyperactive and not want to go to sleep?

Answer:

I suspect that this bedtime behavior is more likely to represent a typical bedtime resistance that is common at her age rather than high blood sugar symptoms. You may wish to read more about the high blood sugars.

If her bedtime blood sugar is consistently above 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], you need to make a change in her insulin dosing or diet to bring that sugar into her blood sugar goal range. Your diabetes team will be happy to help you make any changes to better meet your daughter's needs.

Posted to Behavior