Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

My three year old was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia after a glucose tolerance test last week. His results were: Fasting -- 72 mg/dl [mmol/L; 30 minutes -- 167 mg/dl [mmol/L]; one-hour -- 167 mg/dl [mmol/L]; two-hour -- 122 mg/dl [mmol/L]; and three-hour -- 59 mg/dl [mmol/L]. My daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I am concerned this will lead to diabetes.

We got a call today from the pediatric endocrinologist's office telling us that my son's numbers are normal. Do you feel the same way? He wants to eat and drink every 15 minutes, so I don't see how this can be normal. I am concerned that something is going on, and that it is being overlooked. Any advice?

Answer:

The numbers do appear to be normal and suggest your son does not have diabetes. If his frequent drinking was due to diabetes, his readings would be much higher.

There are other causes for excessive drinking, and I am sure your son's endocrinologist is well aware of them. Perhaps you should talk things over with him/her again.

JS