From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I recently read in a diabetes handbook that people who get type 1 diabetes are thin and people who get type 2 diabetes are overweight. My 20 year old cousin was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and weighs over 200 pounds. Is it possible for very overweight people to get type 1? Does that mean that thin people can get type 2 diabetes?

In many cases, people that get typeá1 diabetes are thin and those who get typeá2 diabetes are overweight. However, there are many cases of just the opposite. There certainly are no absolute rules regarding body habitus and types of diabetes. So, it is entirely possible that your 20 year old cousin can have type 1 diabetes and still weigh over 200 pounds.