Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I am a 20 year old male who has noticed that I do not produce as much sperm as I think I should. I have heard that diabetes affects the reproductive system. Is this true?

Answer:

I approach this question with some caution. First, it is not fair to ascribe your low sperm count to diabetes without knowing anything else about your medical history. Diabetes alone is not necessarily a reason for a decreased sperm count. There are many other issues that can cause this problem. My suggestion is to be evaluated by a physician with expertise in male fertility.