Question:

From Cairo, Egypt:

Which provides the best diabetes control for a nine year old girl with type 1 diabetes, the insulin pump or daily injections? What problems are associated with pump use?

Answer:

Your question has many possible answers. There is good evidence that an insulin pump can help to lower a person's hemoglobin A1c and thus improve diabetes control. As each year goes by, there is more evidence that insulin pumps are a good tool to use in helping children with diabetes.

In my practice, about 80% of my patients are on insulin pumps. The decision to use a pump is one that you must carefully consider. I would suggest seeing Insulin Pumps, and Is pumping for you? for more information about insulin pumps including advantages and disadvantages of pump therapy.