From Yuba City, California, USA:

Is there a formula to use to modify the number of units of Regular insulin to provide for sliding scale dosages?

I would not recommend such fine tuning with Regular. I would use Humalog -- Fast in Fast out. I set a target, lower in older kids and higher in younger kids (100-140 mg/dl [5.6-7.8 mmol/L]). I then calculate how much the sugar is too high or too low. The correction factor is individualized from 1 unit for 30 mg/dl to up to 1 unit for 90 mg/dl. You have to see what it takes. Remember this test is without food. Then the food --1 unit for somewhere between 6 to 30 grams of carb. Again, just see.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin