From Bel Air, Maryland, USA:

I took my 15 year old to the doctor, and she was diagnosed with a sinus and throat infection. the doctor also said her thyroid glands were enlarged and wants to do tests when she is well. He mentioned a teen may have swollen glands due to growing, is this true? Can the gland be enlarged due to the infection?

In most cases, a mildly swollen thyroid gland in a child or teen is not a serious problem. Your doctor will likely wish to do some blood testing to determine how well the thyroid gland is functioning and determine a reason for the swelling. I've not heard of a thyroid gland becoming swollen due to growing. Swelling from infection would also be quite rare.

[Editor's comment: Dr. Brown's answer applies whether or not the child has diabetes. WWQ]

Posted to Thyroid