Question:

From Doncaster, England:

At birth, my three year old son was diagnosed with persistent hypoglycemia of infancy and is thankfully off medication. He has also got an abnormal chromosome (number 8), a horseshoe kidney, and learning difficulties. Are these things connected in some way? Do you know of anyone with children who have the same problems?

Answer:

Persistent hypoglycemia of infancy is linked to abnormalities on the short arm of chromosome 11, and changes in the short arm of chromosome 8 may be associated with developmental delay, but I could find no report to fit the syndrome that you describe. You might still like to explore the The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) database, and I'm sure though that you have already talked this over with the genetics group that made the diagnosis.