Question:

From Ireland:

I a 24 year old (5 feet three inches, 138 pounds) female with good glucose control who has been trying to lose weight for the last six months with a combination of exercise and watching my diet, but nothing seems to work. Is this is an unhealthy weight? How many carbs I should be eating a day? Am I taking too much insulin for my current weight (three shots of Regular [18-24 units] and one shot of Insulatard [22 units] at nighttime).

Answer:

It is my opinion that you are much better off with good blood sugar control, and a little more weight, compared to poor control and less weight. I would suggest checking with your physician regarding your dose and to answer your question of whether you are on too much insulin.

I am afraid I do not have enough information to answer the latter question. Overall, your regimen is an aggressive one and one successfully used to maintain good glucose control.

I would suggest you set an appointment with a dietitian, during which you can formally have a diet prescription for your daily calorie requirements. This is the best way to answer how many carbohydrates you should be eating each day. Remember, any changes in the diet may result in an adjustment in your insulin dose.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss