From Galway, Ireland:

Looking through your travel questions, you have mentioned the Frio pack, and I am thinking of buying some for a year long trip to Australia. You mentioned that you were going to evaluate it. Can you let me know about the Frio wallets?

I bought some Frio wallets and was disappointed. You soak them in water for about 15 minutes and crystals in the pack become cool. I'd say they keep the insulin at about room temperature, but not cold in very high temperatures. I don't think they are "useless", but they didn't keep the insulin as cool as I expected. They are very expensive also.

If you just want to transport their insulin for a few days, I'd recommend, packing refrigerated (cold) insulin in small freezer bags you can buy in the store. Then pack the smaller freezer bag(s)s in a larger freezer bag or chest with some freezer packs in the outer larger freezer bag so the insulin doesn't freeze (it will spoil if it freezes or becomes hot). Don't put the freezer packs in the smaller, inner bags with the insulin, as the insulin may freeze. Don't put the insulin in a bag that will be checked in the luggage compartment of a plane, as it may freeze there.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

Posted to Traveling