Question:

From: Wilmington, North Carolina

My seven year old son has developed some strange symptoms, and everyone I talk to about this says to have him tested for diabetes, but the doctors can't take any of it seriously. I had a brain tumor when I was 16 weeks pregnant with him, and have always worried a little more than normal because of that fact. Lately, he has had excessive bedwetting. We purchased a bedwetting alarm which has been going off every two hours at night, he has developed the most awful body odor under his arms, and he has gained eight pounds in a month. The body odor really has us worried, but when I called the doctor, he said my son probably just has a lot of hormones which doesn't seem normal for a seven year old. Should I insist that they test him for diabetes?

Answer:

Body odor is not a symptom of diabetes. New bedwetting and weight gain can be symptoms of diabetes -- especially type 2 diabetes. I would encourage you to let your physician know of your concerns. Testing for diabetes is relatively simple and can be done in your physician's office.