From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA:

My six year old son has been having dizzy spells lately. He has gotten a cold in the last few days and has had a really fast heart rate. His dad has diabetes. Are these beginning signs of diabetes? Should I have him checked for when he goes to the doctor next week? What should I have checked to verify my suspicions? Should I not be worried about diabetes at all?

Dizzy spells with a rapid heart rate can be an urgent medical problem. I would suggest discussing this with your pediatrician today. It is unlikely to represent diabetes.