Question:

From California, USA:

My 10 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since his eighth birthday, and my 20 year old daughter is pregnant with her first child. Since both my children have the same blood type as I do, would it be beneficial to save the umbilical cord from my daughter's baby until science and politics catch up?

I believe my son's future as well as that of so many people with many diabetes is in the hands of stem cell transplant therapy. It almost seems too easy -- same blood type, baby coming. Maybe I am just so hopeful that a cure is around the corner. I would hate for this to be my son's chance and not to have prepared for it and lose the moment. So, if it is wise to save it, please direct me as to what and how to do it.

Answer:

Nobody really knows if cord blood can be banked in this fashion, whether it would really work and what will be the long term outcome of stem cell research.

Our current President seems dead set against any kind of research of this nature as does the conservative branch of our government. Even if you have extra money to pay for it yourself, this is somewhat of a stretch with current scientific understanding.

Posted to Research: Cure