From Mesa, Arizona, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and doctor told me I had to lose at least 60 pounds. For the last three months, I have been lifting weights three to four times a week and have lost 12 pounds A friend of mine told me I should try a high protein supplement with less carbohydrate. This is supposed to help build lean muscle and burn fat. Would this affect me in a bad way or good way? Should I try it?

Congratulations on your muscle building and exercise program! Nothing helps insulin resistance more than good, regular exercise. I would encourage you, if you're not already, to add cardiovascular work along with the muscle building to give your body a good all around workout. Once again, congratulations on your efforts!

Regarding your question about high protein/low carb supplements to aid in weight loss and building muscle, I would have to say that it is probably not helpful and could add too much protein to your daily intake. This would have the potential of putting more work on your kidneys where proteins must be filtered. All in all, eating a well balanced meal plan recommended for all people, including at least fiveservings of fruit and veggies along with modest amounts of protein and moderate amounts of carbohydrates, should be the right balance for you to slowly lose excess weight and give you enough energy for the increased exercise.

You have already shown great success in losing four pounds per month with your current exercise and food patterns. I would encourage you to maintain this, with the few suggestions above, and be patient. Weight doesn't come on quickly, and it must not be taken off that way either.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss