Question:

From Sacramento, California, USA:

My five year old son has been urinating frequently, has been consuming a lot of liquids, complains of tiredness, and about a month ago, he complained of stomach pain after eating a few bites. His paternal grandfather had diabetes for 24 years. We took him to his pediatrician who said it was he was eating to many sour items.

We took him in again for his frequently urination problem they checked of a urinary tract infection which was fine. However, the doctor ordered fasting and one-hour after eating blood sugar tests that was done today and the results will be available in two days.

Can diabetes be hereditary? What else can I do?

Answer:

It sounds like your child has had a blood glucose test so those results should give some answers. Also, if the results are negative, you might wish to have him tested for the DPT-1 to see if he is at risk of diabetes. Call 800-425-8361 if you are interested in this study.

He already has a relative with diabetes who sounds like he had type 1.

LSF

Posted to Genetics and Heredity