From Santa Ana, California, USA:

My eight year old son is experiencing (sometimes severe) headaches, incessantly thirst, severe night sweats, and frequent urination. I have called the doctor, however we have been put off, and have a PPO insurance plan. Should I specifically request a glucose tolerance test?

I would phone your son's doctor office and tell them he needs to be seen. Some of the symptoms you describe might be due to diabetes, and it would be a good idea to have them checked out as soon as possible.

A glucose tolerance test is not necessary. In the face of the usual symptoms of diabetes, the standard is to do a fasting blood sugar, then have the patient eat a large breakfast and do another blood sugar two hours later. See ISPAD Consensus Guidelines for the Management of Insulin-Dependent (Type 1) Diabetes (IDDM) in Childhood and Adolescence.