Question:

From Benton, Kentucky, USA:

Can you tell me about a urine test called microalbumin/creatinine ratio? Is it better than just a microalbumin urine test? My son's doctor seems to think it gives more information.

Answer:

The microalbumin/creatinine ratio can be done on a "spot" urine at any time of day, but it is a screen. The timed test (up to 24 hours) for microalbumin is better, but more time consuming.

How about a compromise with the doctor? See if he/she will check the first morning urine, which should have no protein in it, and if positive is a concern. A later in the day urine, which might have protein and still be normal, and, if negative gives great comfort. Some people can spill a little protein into the urine when they stand up and not when they lie down and have it be normal. That's why the 24 hour urine is the gold standard, but hard to do correctly.