Question:

From Gallipolis Ferry, West Virginia, USA:

About three weeks ago I attended a health affair, and my glucose reading was 142 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L]. I am not aware of any family history of diabetes. I do have an appointment with my doctor scheduled for more thorough blood work. Please express your opinion on the 142 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L] reading as the paperwork showed anything above 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] as high.

Answer:

You do not mention if your blood test was done fasting, before eating, or after eating. That can make a big difference in the interpretation of any blood glucose result. A glucose reading of 142 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L] done at a health fair, is open to question. You have taken the right steps to discuss this with your doctor and have further testing. If you are genetically at risk for diabetes, then you are already on the right track. Looking for diabetes, by blood sugar test occasionally, is much more proactive than waiting for the classic symptoms to appear.

KS

[Editor's comment: Unless this reading was done in a fasting state, it is normal. SS]