Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

My six year old, who has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, has been "sick" her entire life. It seems she always has an ear infection, sinus infection, or tonsillitis. Her tonsils are now out, she has had three sets of tubes, has had sinus surgery and has had three sinus endoscope procedures. The longest period of time she has been off antibiotics in her life is 34 days. Could all this be related to the diagnosis of diabetes?

Answer:

No seems too simple, but no I have no data and there is no literature to support diabetes having any role in the other illnesses, or that diabetes was present during all this time. Sounds more like allergies to me. She likely does have type 1A which you can read about on our site. That doesn't include the types of problems you've described.