Question:

From New Zealand, USA:

A few times a month, about a half hour before dinnertime, I experience a sudden weakness in my whole body, a general feeling of apathy, coldness and a faster than usual heartbeat, and I always feel fine again by the time I have finished dinner. As far as I know I don't have diabetes. I do drink a lot of coffee (five cups a day) and often crave candy. Do I have hypoglycemia?

Answer:

You might have transient episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Eating a lot of caffeine and candy might indeed cause such a phenomenon, and stopping coffee and all foods containing refined sugars (such as candy) for a few days should allow you to judge their role in causing your symptoms. If these symptoms persist after doing that, I'd suggest you ask your doctor for further help.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Diagnosis and Symptoms