From Jersey City, New Jersey, USA:

My aunt is blind, can see very little light, and her doctor said that there is nothing else he can do. We need a second opinion. Can you recommend or perhaps refer us to another eye specialist in our area?

I am sorry to hear of your aunt's situation. You do not say what caused her blindness. My suggestion to you would be to call the local medical society in your area which should be able to give you the names of some other doctors to see. If there is a medical school in your area, you may make an appointment with one of their eye doctors. These are the doctors that train other doctors.

What is most important is that whomever your aunt sees spends the time to explain what has happened, why it happened and what my be expected in the future. Take a list of questions and be sure to get them answered.

[Editor's comment: It may be helpful to ask your aunt's present eye doctor for a referral to another ophthalmologist. For example, with some diabetic eye problems, specially trained eye doctors called "retinal ophthalmologists" can either offer some new advice, or reconfirm that nothing else can be done. WWQ]