From Wyoming, Michigan, USA:

I am 49 years old, have type 2 diabetes, and I am currently taking insulin. I have switched from cows milk to soy milk, but cannot find any information to incorporate soy milk into my diet. Do I treat it as equal to cows milk with regard to food exchanges?

From the standpoint of nutrition, soy milk can be used in an exchange meal plan in place of cow's milk. It is a great source of protein and, if fortified, of calcium, as well as vitamins A & D. These are the chief nutrients of concern. However, the carbohydrate content of your soy milk may be different than cow's milk. You need to check out the Nutrition Facts label. Cow's milk contains about 12 grams of carb in each 8 ounce glass or 15 grams in a 12 ounce glass. Some brands and flavors of soy milk have considerably more because of sweeteners added to improve the taste. If your soy milk has considerably less than 15 grams of carb in a glass, you may also need to use some other carbohydrate foods in your exchange plan (fruit or bread/starch) to account for the extra carb.