Question:

From Hugo, Minnesota, USA:

My nine month old son's father has type 1 diabetes, and I would like to know what information is currently available to help prevent my son from developing diabetes. I have read about exposure to milk proteins as a possible trigger. I have breast-fed my son until now, but am ready to wean him. Are the milk proteins also present in formula? Is there enough evidence to warrant giving him soy formula and/or milk, rather than cow's milk? Are there any other foods, vaccinations or other exposures that should be avoided?

Answer:

I think the jury is still out on the exact triggers for typeá1 diabetes. There does seem to be an association with an infection or illness and subsequent development of diabetes. Breast feeding for the first year can possibly be beneficial, but I do not think anything is proven, especially not beyond the first year.

LSF

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.