From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

My five year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since age two, was bitten by a stray dog and is undergoing a rabies shot series. Are there any precautions or things I should look for in relationship to his diabetes?

It is exceedingly improbable that your son will develop rabies encephalomyelits or any reaction to the gamma globulin injections. The last reported case in a child in the U.S. was over 30 years ago. The stress of the bite, of the treatment and of understandable family anxiety is likely though to raise blood sugars for a few days so you should monitor carefully and keep in touch with the doctor or the nurse educator if you think any insulin adjustments are needed.