Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

My five year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since age two, was bitten by a stray dog and is undergoing a rabies shot series. Are there any precautions or things I should look for in relationship to his diabetes?

Answer:

It is exceedingly improbable that your son will develop rabies encephalomyelits or any reaction to the gamma globulin injections. The last reported case in a child in the U.S. was over 30 years ago. The stress of the bite, of the treatment and of understandable family anxiety is likely though to raise blood sugars for a few days so you should monitor carefully and keep in touch with the doctor or the nurse educator if you think any insulin adjustments are needed.