Question:

From Arlington, Texas, USA:

I was diagnosed six years ago at the age of 16, have never had good control, and my mom mentioned something the other day about a rehabilitation program. I was wondering if they existed, and if so, am interested in all the information you could possibly

Answer:

I am not aware of any rehabilitation program. However, it sounds as if you are now interested in learning new things about diabetes, and learning new strategies for integrating diabetes into your life. Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself.

I would recommend you begin by asking your physician, or calling your local American Diabetes Association, and asking for referrals to diabetes teams near your home. Make appointments to speak with their educator, dietitian, and social worker or psychologist. You will need to see all of these individuals in order to develop a diabetes care plan that works for you.

JWB