Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I know a seven year old boy who has diabetes and anasarca, and I believe good doctor, well versed about diabetes in children would help a lot. will help. Unfortunately, I am not successful in locating one in the Philippines. Can you help me find the Juvenile Diabetes foundation in the Philippines?

Answer:

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation has no affiliate in the Philippines, and the American Diabetes Association in their Who's Who in Diabetes Treatment lists no pediatric endocrinologists in the country.

We have a listing for the Philippine Diabetes Association which can be found under Global Diabetes Organizations. I suggest you contact them (Tel 63-2 531 1278) about a qualified adult endocrinologist in the nearest town to where this boy lives.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

It seems better to look for the International Diabetes Federation affiliate and contact them. Their website is the place to start.

[Editor's comment: Any reader who has information about endocrinology in the Philippines, please write to men at medical.director@childrenwithdiabetes.com and I'll forward your letter to the present writer. WWQ]