Question:

From Canada:

I have been suffering from type 1 diabetes for over 26 years and currently, my major problem is gastroparesis. Nothing seems to help! A friend told me that some antibiotics may be helpful. Does anybody have some experience with this? If yes, which antibiotic works best?

Answer:

The antibiotic in question is erythromycin. This antibiotic mimics a peptide which stimulates motility in the digestive tract. Since gastroparesis is a difficult problem to treat, I would suggest you see a gastroenterologist or diabetologist who has an interest in the area. There may also be a chance to participate in clinical trials for other medications which may treat this condition.