Question:

From New Fairfield, Connecticut, USA:

My twelve year old daughter, diagnosed 18 months ago with type 1 diabetes, wears an insulin pump, and a friend of ours has asked her to babysit for her four year old twins and six year old daughter. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

Diabetes should not play a role in your decision about whether or not your child should babysit, unless you believe her control is not very good and that she is likely to have a low blood sugar while babysitting. However, I would question whether a 12 year old can manage the responsibility of caring for three children. That is a huge responsibility for an adult, no less a school-aged child.

JWB

Posted to Other Social Issues