From Vero Beach, Florida, USA:

I use insulin shipped to me via U.S. mail from the Veterans Administration pharmacy distributors in North Carolina, and it takes 4-5 days (with no refrigeration) to get to my home in Florida. Is it possible that the insulin could deteriorate enough during that time to affect my blood sugars?

The insulin should be fine, but you will want to refrigerate it as soon as you get it. I do see that you live in Florida, so it is probably hot during all of the shipping time of the insulin from North Carolina to Florida. Therefore, if you notice that your blood sugars are higher when you start using the new insulin, and there is no other possible explanation, I would talk to your diabetes team and get their input.

[Editor's comment: The insulin should be fine as long as it is shipped in some sort of cryopack or on ice to protect it from the extreme temperatures in your part of the country (especially in summer). If the insulin not being shipped this way, you will likely see deterioration and higher blood glucose levels. If this appears to be a problem, I would contact the VA pharmacy and discuss proper shipping procedures. If they cannot accommodate your request, I would suggest you have your physician contact them and request overnight delivery. SS]