From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

My two and a half year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I noticed that when we go to places like festivals or theme parks his blood sugar will drop severely. He can start off with a sugar of 177 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L]and be down to 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] in an hour. Most of the time he is just mildly active. What is making his levels drop so quickly? I thought that from excitement his levels would go up.

Excitement can make blood glucose go either up or down. In your son's case, he seems to go down. If you know when you are going you could either give him a bit more to eat, or cut his insulin back by up to one fifth.