Question:

From El Cajon, California, USA:

I am 23 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for four years, and since I was diagnosed my fiance has been concerned because my sexual drive has gone way down. I am always moody. Is this normal or does this have anything to do with my diabetes?

Answer:

Libido can be affected by a number of things. If this has become an issue with your partner, I would suggest you talk about it with your physician. Poorly controlled diabetes may be a reason for the problem, but it is not the only one. With only four years of diabetes, I would suggest that reasonably good blood sugar control (a hemoglobin A1c less than 8%) would be associated with normal libido, in the absence of other problems.