Question:

From London, the United Kingdom:

I have had Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young for seven years, I am six weeks pregnant, and my latest hemoglobin A1c was 4.3%. My fasting blood sugar varies between 4.4 and 5.5 mmol/L [79.2 and 99 mg/dl]. My postprandial readings are rarely above 5.5 mmol/L [99 mg/dl] and I have good hypoglycemia awareness with very few blood sugars below 3 mmol/L [54 mg/dl]. I am conscious that this is very tight control, but is it harmful to me, or the baby?

Answer:

Your control is excellent and is not harmful to you or the baby. Keep up the good work.

Posted to Family Planning