Question:

From Floral Park, New York, USA:

I am 13 years old and weigh 140 pounds. Is there a 1800 calorie diet that would be good for a teen?

Answer:

I would recommend you consult a dietitian to help you develop a meal plan that would be suitable to you. The Food Guide Pyramid is a good place to start for recommendations for healthy and balanced eating. Your energy needs should be calculated based on your height, age and activity so that 1800 calories may not be appropriate for you. I hope you can find someone to help you.

JM

[Editor's comment: You can find an RD in your area by visiting the American Dietetic Association website or by calling your local American Diabetes Association office, or the AADE at 800-TEAMUP-4. WWQ]