Question:

From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

I have three siblings who have diabetes (two are on dialysis), but neither my children nor I have diabetes. What measures should I take for myself and my children to ward off diabetes?

Answer:

There isn't anything you can do to ward off diabetes. However, by keeping well, eating healthily and keeping fit you will help to remain generally healthy.

JS

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

You might wish to be tested for the DPT-1 to see if you or your kids are at risk of developing. There are several centers in San Antonio. The number to call for more info is 800-425-8361.

LSF