Question:

From Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA:

I am a 32 year old Hispanic male with a family history of type 2 diabetes, who has been experiencing numerous symptoms of diabetes, and I am considering being tested. Is there a specific test I should consider or one that is preferred?

Answer:

It is very proactive of you to be tested for diabetes, especially due to your inherited risk and the symptoms you are having. The American Diabetes Association recommends a fasting blood sugar test for diagnosis or a two-hour glucose tolerance test. Either would tell you if you have any problems with producing enough insulin to cover your body's need.

The most important thing to remember is that finding out you have diabetes early is the best way to begin treatment early and take a proactive approach to avoiding complications of diabetes in the future. If your tests are negative now, repeating at least once a year is highly recommended.

KS