Question:

From Sacramento, California, USA:

Two months ago, we lived 30 days in an environment with a lot of pesticides. During that time, my son and I tired easily, and a doctor suspected diabetes. Since moving, our endurance gradually returned to about normal, and my seven year old son has had fasting blood sugars of 69 and 111 mg/dl [69 and 6.2 mmol/L] on my meter. Does he have diabetes? Can pesticides cause temporary diabetes?

Answer:

The blood sugar values you report are normal. Pesticides do not cause diabetes. If your son is back to normal now, I don't suspect that he has any chronic illness including diabetes. You should establish care with a pediatrician who can do a general health screening history and physical exam to help allay your fears.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Research: Causes and Prevention