Question:

From Port Washington, New York, USA:

I used to take pork-based insulin, and a few years ago the manufacturers switched everyone to human insulins. Although my dosages stayed the same after the switch, now, I no longer shake, sweat or get any warning sign of hypoglycemia. Is the human insulin responsible? If so, can't the manufacturers add an ingredient that will provide some warning of hypoglycemia?

Answer:

Your lack of symptoms in the face of hypoglycemia is not caused by the type of insulin. Rather, the inability to sense low blood sugars seems to occur with increased duration of diabetes, frequent low sugars (especially at night), and autonomic neuropathy. My suggestion to you is work with your physician to decrease the frequency of low sugars to improve your ability to sense low sugars.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin