From Laguna Woods, California, USA:

My wife, who has type 2 diabetes, is experiencing hair loss from her head. She is taking Glucophage [metformin], glyburide and an ACE inhibitor. Can any of her medications cause her problem?

Hair loss can be a signal from the body that things are not in balance. It could be caused by many things, environments, nutritional, medication or hormonal. I would suggest your wife discuss all of the possibilities with her physician and get further testing to determine the cause of her hair loss.

[Editor's comment: Unlikely to be the pills; there's one very common medical condition that can do this (hypothyroidism) that her doctors can easily check for; if the lab tests are abnormal for this condition, therapy is straight-forward, and very important to get started. WWQ]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Thyroid