Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

My 15 year old niece was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I don't know much about it. Is there anything you can tell me about the treatments and symptoms and other information?

Answer:

Type 2 diabetes in kids is related to obesity, hypertension, cholesterol problems and something called insulin resistance. It is sometimes also related to excess androgens and something called polycystic ovaries or PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). It is occurring in epidemic portions in the USA and around the world because of the lack of activity coupled with excess calories being eaten/snacked on. Anything to cut down calories, cut down television and computer/game time and increase activity will be extremely helpful. Sometimes medications are needed just the same as with adults with type 2 diabetes. She should be working quite closely with a diabetes specialty team to identify such problems and work on treatment strategies that will be successful and improve her short and long term health.

There is an excellent article summarizing this in a recent issue of the American Diabetes Association's Diabetes Forecast to provide you with more information.

[Editor's comment: Also see What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]

DTQ-20010625103626A
Posted to Type 2