From Crown Point, Indiana, USA:

My 70 year old father was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about twenty years ago, and, for the past three years, he has had significant control problems becoming incoherent due to low blood sugar with significant regularity. This has caused him to have to retire as he has had three car accidents, my siblings now live in his hometown, and his neighbors report calling the ambulance about every other week due to this condition.

The purpose of this site is not to discredit medical treatment patients receive. We are not in any position to judge the quality of care received based on the descriptions provided. With that said, I would also say that it is your father's right to have a second opinion if he is doing poorly and has no results with his physician.

It seems to me that he has lost the ability to sense low sugars and this puts him at extreme risk for more lows. I would also suggest he not drive until the frequency of the episodes is significantly decreased. There are other insulin regimens which can be tried to address this problem. It requires an attentive care team and a committed patient.