Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Berwick, Louisiana, USA:

My seven year old son has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Would it be wise to seek a second opinion? If so, are there any specialists in this field in my area?


Type 1 diabetes is not difficult to diagnose. If your son has had two or more of random blood sugars greater than 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] or fasting blood sugars greater than 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] and had an elevated hemoglobin A1c, I don't think that you need a second opinion on that score.

What I do believe is that the family should make at least one visit (even if you don't on a regular basis) to a children's diabetes team which includes a nurse educator,a dietitian and a medical social worker in addition to the doctor.


[Editor's comment: See: Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]

Original posting 29 Jun 2001
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Home Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:22
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.