Question:

From Evansville, Indiana, USA:

I'm in charge of the snacks department at our vacation bible school, and one of our kids who has diabetes is on a low carb diet. I would like to know what kind of snacks she is allowed to have because she can't seem to have anything we offer and this isn't quite fair to her. I think she is feeling left out, and I would like to make her a little happier if I can.

Answer:

I am not familiar with using a low carbohydrate diet to treat children with diabetes. Usually, they are placed on a carbohydrate counting system and a meal plan in which about 50% of the calories come from carbohydrate. This means that some sweets can be worked into the meal plan. I hope you have discussed this problem with the parents.

Perhaps she could be allowed a cookie with a sugar free drink occasionally. Other snacks might include animal crackers, fruit, popcorn, gold fish crackers, etc. You might try a variety of non-sugar treats for everyone -- they are a little more healthy anyway.

JM

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I wonder if you mean a diet low in simple sugars. If so, then candies and excessive amounts of juices and soda pop would not be allowed, but complex carbohydrates, as crackers, plain cookies (not with gobs of frostring on them), yogurt, small pieces of fruit are good choices. Please do check with the parents.

LSF