From Thousand Oaks, California, USA:

I am searching for software that can assist me in identifying and monitoring my diet and food consumption including:

1. Simple Carbohydrates
  2. Complex Carbohydrates
  3. Cholesterol
  4. Fats
  5. Calories
  6. Fiber
  7. Protein
Ideally it would have a data base of the above factors I can add to and modify and monitor.

I would also like it to be able to:

1. have a list of what I have eaten
  2. total the various components
  3. identify what is available for the rest of the day (or is short)
  4. possibly suggest the most healthy items to eat to make up any deficit.

Is there a software package available?

A great resource that will assist you with all of this is DietLog by HealtheTech. It is an award winning weight management system that allows you to set personal nutrition and meal planning goals, track your daily food consumption and monitor your progress. DietLog runs on any Palm OS device and is very convenient and comprehensive. Check out their website. We have used this software for some of our patients, and they have found it very helpful.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

I showed your question to one of our dietitians who suggested that visit the Cyberdiet web site and look under Daily Food Planner in the Diet and Nutrition section. You might also look at ' Computerized Meal Planning at this website for more ideas.