Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. A month ago, I found my 14 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age six, dead in bed. I came across an article on your website about "dead in bed" syndrome. Why would we not have been advised that this was possible? Where does research stand on this syndrome? (31 Jul 2001)

2. My 20 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and has had leg pain for years of leg. Isn't there a test to confirm or eliminate neuropathy? Could this have been an early warning sign of her diabetes? (31 Jul 2001)

3. My son, who takes four to five injections of insulin daily, wanted me to ask you what would happen if people without diabetes took small amounts of insulin. We are both curious! (31 Jul 2001)

4. I know I have sugar in my urine. My dad had diabetes treated with insulin, and later he went on dialysis. I have not seen to a doctor in six years. Any suggestions? (31 Jul 2001)

5. Our son had pancreatic surgery for a suspected insulinoma. The surgeon removed about half of the pancreas. Could you tell me why pathology was unable to identify an insulinoma in the surgically removed part? (31 Jul 2001)

6. I am a 20 year old with type 1 diabetes who has recently been experiencing swelling in my ankle. Should this be something to be concerned with? (31 Jul 2001)

7. My father has had type 1 diabetes for only about two years, and his doctors have been unable to regulate his sugar. His blood sugars usually run 300-450 mg/dl [16.7-25 mmol/L]. Do you have any suggestions? (31 Jul 2001)

8. I do not have diabetes but got some home blood glucose readings of 150-160 mg/dl [8.3-8.9 mmol/L]. Would these contribute to my extreme fatigue and headaches? (31 Jul 2001)

9. During a recent routine check up, I had a slightly elevated blood sugar, and I have been taking ibuprofen for muscle ache. Is it possible that taking ibuprofen caused the increase in the blood sugar level? (31 Jul 2001)

10. Has there been any research done on the link (if any) between the onset of diabetes and flu vaccinations? (31 Jul 2001)

11. I have PCOS, and had a glucose tolerance test done. Is this hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia or hyperinsulinism? Do I have diabetes or pre-diabetes? (31 Jul 2001)

12. Why would someone who has been quite well controlled for 17 years suddenly seem to be well out of control? What should I do? (31 Jul 2001)

13. I have tried many different types of insulins, but I seem to either wake up really high or have severe lows. Is there any insulin therapy that I could work around my schedule? (31 Jul 2001)

14. Can a 40 year old person with type 1 diabetes have seizures for the very first time and become brain dead in a few minutes? (30 Jul 2001)

15. My son was started him on Lantus at night, but he has had two near convulsions during the early dawn hours. Also, 15 minutes after injecting Lantus, his blood sugar drops. Do you have any experience with the effects of Lantus on pre-adolescents? (30 Jul 2001)

16. My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which the doctors believe resulted from complications of an infection. He is considered unusual because his pancreas continues to make a limited amount of insulin and he has no antibodies. Does that make him a good candidate for islet replacement therapy? (30 Jul 2001)

17. I have had type 2 diabetes, and my microalbumin was elevated recently. What could cause such a jump? Could eating extra protein be the cause? (30 Jul 2001)

18. I am a 47 year old female who has type 2 diabetes. Does diabetes affect one's sex drive? (30 Jul 2001)

19. My mother, who is in China and has diabetes, went to the hospital because of frequent vomiting. The doctor treated her for stomach problems, but now her whole body is swollen. The doctor said it was the symptoms of diabetes at a very late stage. (30 Jul 2001)

20. I am a 77 year old male who has diabetes, and I have been on dialysis. My glucose levels have dropped to a dangerous level. Is there a reason for this condition or any help you might be able to provide? (30 Jul 2001)

21. My wife suffered a severe concussion in an automobile accident, and developed very high glucose levels and was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus and her thyroid activity decreased. Could the concussion have caused this by injury to the brain? (30 Jul 2001)

22. Are strokes more prevalent in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes than in other people? If this is true, what contributes to a stroke? (30 Jul 2001)

23. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, have been taking insulin four times a day, and for about three months, I have had an allergic reaction to both types of insulin. Do you have any information that might help me to deal with this situation? (30 Jul 2001)

24. I work for a company that is putting on a Carnival/Fun Fair for children with diabetes, so I would like to get a few suggestions for foods and snacks that we should provide. (29 Jul 2001)

25. I have type 2 diabetes and use 70/30 insulin. In the middle of night, I eat food because my blood sugar drops. My A1c and blood pressure are good, but energy is still elusive. Would I function better with Lantus? (29 Jul 2001)

26. I am 28 years old, have had type 2 diabetes, currently treated with Glucophage, and my last A1c was 5.7%. However, my weight seems to be decreasing slowly. I want to gain weight. Is there any way to do it in safe way? (29 Jul 2001)

27. Are implantable insulin pumps currently being used outside the United States (Europe)? If so, with what degree of success? (29 Jul 2001)

28. My doctor and I have been bugging my insurance company about purchasing an insulin pump, but because my hemoglobin test isn't high enough (in their mind it has to be at least 9.5%), they won't justify a pump. (29 Jul 2001)

29. Since I developed diabetes, I have never been so tired (I know that is one of the symptoms of someone with diabetes), but, no matter how much sleep I get, by 1:00-2:00 pm, every day, I feel really dopey (like I could drop and fall asleep). What's wrong with me? Am I lacking a vitamin or something? (29 Jul 2001)

30. Since my 10 year old daughter's mother and I live in the same city, we split custody. The problem is when she is with her mother, her blood sugar spikes. How long will it take for serious irreparable damage begins happening in her body? (29 Jul 2001)

31. I heard about a researcher who had found a way to cultivate human stem cells from adipose tissue extracted via liposuction. Do you know anything about this researcher's claim? (29 Jul 2001)

32. I am looking for a place in New York (preferably Manhattan) to buy a GlucoWatch device for my six year old son. (29 Jul 2001)

33. I am 21 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 12, and my sugar level has not been normal in spite of keeping a strict control on my diet. In spite of taking all kinds of precautions, why is the level not coming down? (29 Jul 2001)

34. I am 28 years old, and have been on an insulin pump for about 15 years.For the past year, I have had sky-high sugars for a day or more, and then I will drop way low and not be able to recognize it at all. Additionally, my A1c's have not been good at all. Are there any suggestions on what I can do to get back on track? (29 Jul 2001)

35. My doctor said that my blood sugars followed a diabetic curve and that I may be suffering from a real case of hypoglycemia. My mother, grandmother, grandfather and three uncles all have diabetes. Is my hypoglycemia just a precursor to diabetes? (28 Jul 2001)

36. In our Health Assurance System, there are no funds for supporting test strips for blood glucose control. Do you know any possibilities to find financial help for establishing a fund to support self control for children with diabetes? (28 Jul 2001)

37. I am going to Mexico City on a mission trip with my church. Do I need any special identification saying that I have diabetes? Do I need any special information to take my insulin and syringes across the border? (28 Jul 2001)

38. A friend my mine has a child with type 1 and learning disabilities. Are there any publications or websites that address this double problem? (28 Jul 2001)

39. My four year old son is on TPN and had problems because of high glucose levels, resulting in brain injury. Social Services is trying to say that we shook him and caused this, but the pediatric neurologist believes that my son had ketoacidosis. We need any information which can help us prove this. (28 Jul 2001)

40. I am an 18 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for seven years and recently has been getting bruises whenever and wherever I give my injection. I've never had this problem before. What could be the cause? Is there anything I can do? (28 Jul 2001)

41. Since we have been home (four days), my daughter's blood sugar goes from 65 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L] in the morning to 350 mg/dl [19.4 mmol/L] at night. Do the numbers soon start to come closer together and stay longer? (28 Jul 2001)

42. Should all people with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes be seen by an endocrinologist? If not, who should be seen by one? (28 Jul 2001)

43. Is Actos safe? I've heard that the earlier version caused liver damage. (28 Jul 2001)

44. I am a 40 year male who was diagnosed two weeks ago and is being treated with metformin. With my Hb1Ac at 10.3%, should I be doing anything other than diet and exercise? (28 Jul 2001)

45. My 20 year old daughter, recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, is forever hungry (never satisfied), and, because she was told there is no bad food and that needs a certain number of carbs at each meal, she chooses bread, french fries, chips, etc. Aren't these choices empty? (27 Jul 2001)

46. Could you please tell me the age of the youngest person to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? (27 Jul 2001)

47. After reading about using Ultralente in small doses to possibly delay or prevent diabetes, I put myself on insulin, and I have been getting bad headaches. My doctor told me that it is bad to take insulin if you don't need to. If this is so, why do they have people in diabetes studies take insulin? Is it really dangerous to take insulin if you don't have diabetes? (27 Jul 2001)

48. My son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. If he has a low, what foods do I give him to bring him back up, but not too high? What foods are fast acting and what foods are slow acting? (27 Jul 2001)

49. My son's new endocrinologist has two shots per day, and he is waking up with blood sugars of about 240-260 mg/dl [13.3-14.1 mmol/L]. Should I be increasing his NPH at dinner to bring down his morning blood sugar? (27 Jul 2001)

50. I have gestational diabetes, and I am worried about getting low blood sugar during the stress of labor and delivery because I am not allowed to eat anything to prevent nausea in active labor or in the event of a possible caesarean. (27 Jul 2001)

51. I have gestational diabetes for the second time, and I am concerned because my fasting blood sugars are higher this pregnancies then they were last time. The diabetes life care folks say that if I can't maintain fasting blood sugars below 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L], they will put me on Insulin. My fear is that I will never be able to go off insulin. (27 Jul 2001)

52. I have a 21 year old daughter with diabetes, and I heard about a sheet to put over your mattress that will help to give you a hint before you go into a coma. Is are there one? Where can I get one? (27 Jul 2001)

53. I am 28 years old, and I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. How do I treat the symptoms? (27 Jul 2001)

54. I have two cousins on my dad's side who have type 1 diabetes and a great-grandma on my mom's side who had type 1 diabetes. Does this put me at high risk? (27 Jul 2001)

55. I have booked to travel to Thailand and Cambodia for nine weeks, and I have type 1 diabetes. Have I made a mistake in booking to go for so long? (26 Jul 2001)

56. I am a 16 year old male who has type 1 diabetes, and I am overall physically fit, but I can't seem to lose my gut. I am looking for a routine and diet that can help me thin out my stomach. What should I do or where should I look? (26 Jul 2001)

57. I have had severe low glucose incidents, and I do not get much of a warning signal before I start having symptoms of severe low sugar. Can people get hypoglycemia unawareness without having diabetes? (26 Jul 2001)

58. My wife was diagnosed about eight years ago, and is very careful with her diet. I am concerned about the erratic effect alcohol has on her. I need to know whether this problem is related to her diabetes. (26 Jul 2001)

59. I have had diabetes for about 10 years, which I haven't looked after since diagnosis, but I've been thinking more about my health for the last few months. My main problem being that I am a bulimic. What can I do to help myself? (26 Jul 2001)

60. I was diagnosed with type 2 in my mid-30s. My doctors have never been interested in obtaining C-peptide or antibody tests. Is it reasonable to ask for this type of testing? (26 Jul 2001)

61. I was talked into taking in beta glucan to try to better my immune system, and it totally skyrocketed my fasting blood sugar. How it is possible that beta glucan skyrocketed my blood sugar? (26 Jul 2001)

62. A senior citizen with type 2 diabetes has Intense itching, but no rash whatsoever. Is this due to the sugar in the perspiration being released in these areas? (26 Jul 2001)

63. I am on Glucovance, and for about three months, I have had a rash which I suspect is due to this medication. (26 Jul 2001)

64. I am 46 years. old, have had type 2 diabetes for about eight years, and have recently been having a lot of pain in the bottom of my feet. It is very severe at times most usually at night. Could this be a complication of diabetes? (26 Jul 2001)

65. My daughter wanted a candy bar the other day, and I decided to let her it to see what would happen. She was not any higher than normal. Does this mean that the sugar count does not really matter as long as the carbohydrates are the same? (25 Jul 2001)

66. I have type 1 diabetes and am planning on conceiving my second child. I am taking NPH with Humalog and my doctor wants to try Lantus instead of NPH. Are Humalog and Lantus safe for the unborn baby and for nursing? (25 Jul 2001)

67. I have gestational diabetes which I am trying to control with diet and exercise. My fasting numbers are always below 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L], but I get two to three high numbers a week, and I'm concerned I will be pushed into taking insulin. What are the risks of taking insulin and its effect on the baby? (25 Jul 2001)

68. My husband and four year old son have diabetes. I see some products and activities which warn that they may pose a risk to those with weakened immune systems. Are people with type 1 diabetes considered to have weakened immune systems? (25 Jul 2001)

69. If a middle aged man with type 2 diabetes were to not eat for a day would it cause acidosis and make him smell like he had been drinking alcohol? (25 Jul 2001)

70. My husband, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago, is not taking any medication, and most of his self tests are in the normal range, but he consumes three or four beers three days a week. Will this affect his diabetes? (25 Jul 2001)

71. My husband complains of constant headaches. Today his blood sugar was 11.3 mmol/L [203 mg/dl] in the morning after breakfast. It was never so high before, on the contrary, quite low. Could there be a link between the sugar and the headaches? (25 Jul 2001)

72. I was diagnosed with diabetes about three months ago. At my request, my doctor decided to wait on the diabetes medication. I started exercising more frequently and eating a lot more carefully. I now have a normal fasting blood sugar. Have I been misdiagnosed? (25 Jul 2001)

73. I take Glucophage and Prandin, and during the day, the Prandin seems to lower my blood sugar, but at night the Prandin almost seems to cause the blood sugars to be even more elevated in the morning. Short of insulin, what else can I take? (25 Jul 2001)

74. We are currently meeting with preschool staff and want to balance informing them versus scaring them. How important is it that they be trained to give glucagon? (24 Jul 2001)

75. My husband has chronic pancreatitis, diabetes, and gastroparesis. Is there anything we can do or avoid to help these attacks ease? (24 Jul 2001)

76. I am only having bowel movements every three days, and it is quite a struggle to have one. Does this sound like gastroparesis? Do you think it is related to diabetes? (24 Jul 2001)

77. I am having lows around 5:00-6:00 am. What I can I do to solve my problem? (24 Jul 2001)

78. My 11 year old daughter has been terrible with amazing swings from highs to lows. She was having hypos on no insulin. Has anybody ever come across this type of problem? (24 Jul 2001)

79. My seven year old son has type 1 diabetes, and my other son who does not have not diabetes received fewer immunizations and in a different order. Is the order in which immunizations are received being studied as a trigger? (24 Jul 2001)

80. My three and a half year old daughter was recently put on Lantus, and I read that Lantus is only FDA approved for children over the age of six. Is Lantus safer for young children than an insulin pump? (24 Jul 2001)

81. About three weeks ago, my son started taking 70/30 insulin, and his injection sites are beginning to get red. Could this be a reaction to the insulin? (24 Jul 2001)

82. An adult male friend of my mother would like to purchase the new GlucoWatch. Is the GlucoWatch on the market yet? How successful is this compared to the 'old-fashioned' invasive blood glucose testing? (24 Jul 2001)

83. My blood glucose levels are well controlled and almost always below 10 mmol/L [180 mg/dl], but when I test after breakfast, I always have a level of about 13 or 14 mmol/L [234 or 252 mg/dl], even when I don't eat much. Do you know why these readings are so high? (24 Jul 2001)

84. I am 36 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since the age of three, and my doctor has prescribed tablets to be taken with insulin. Do other people with type 1 diabetes use pills? Is it safe for type 1 diabetes? (24 Jul 2001)

85. I'm thinking about taking steroids for muscle gain. I don't want to have diabetes due to the fact that my family has a history of it. Are there any supplements that are good for the pancreatic health? (24 Jul 2001)

86. As of four months ago, my waking blood sugar will be 147 mg/dl 8.2 [mmol/L], and after my Glucophage and a cup of coffee black or strong tea, my blood sugar will be 247 mg/dl [13.7 mmol/L]. What happened? (24 Jul 2001)

87. A five year old boy is suffering from type 1 diabetes. Is this diabetes curable? (23 Jul 2001)

88. During my first three pregnancies, I controlled the diabetes with diet and exercise, but now I am taking insulin before dinner and before bed as my morning fasting numbers were uncontrollable this time by diet alone. My concern is that when I get my shot of insulin I feel strong contractions. Is there any correlation between insulin and premature labor or cervix dilation or strong contractions? (23 Jul 2001)

89. I read a recent article that said that it may be very dangerous for people with diabetes to fast, and my rabbi want to know the source of this information or any medical literature on this topic. (23 Jul 2001)

90. Can you give me some more information on the history of treatment for diabetes? (23 Jul 2001)

91. My 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just three months ago. She is in very good control, but she has not taken the antibody test because In Venezuela it is almost impossible to find a lab that perform that test. How important is the antibody test? (23 Jul 2001)

92. My 13 year old daughter, who has many allergies and is on several different medications, had a fasting blood sugar of 123 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L] and an A1c of 6.6%. Could her medications or the onset of puberty (she only had one period for the first time one month ago) be partly responsible or does she have diabetes? (23 Jul 2001)

93. Our three month old son is in the process of being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and a seizure disorder. We are very happy with the job that our medical team is doing, but are looking for help from other doctors who may have seen similar things in such a young patient. (23 Jul 2001)

94. My 40 year old sister, who had type 1 diabetes since the age of one, died a few days ago. I would like to know if there is reason to suspect that she died prematurely. (23 Jul 2001)

95. Is there a cut off age for developing type 1 diabetes? How common is type 1 in someone over 21 years of age? (23 Jul 2001)

96. My son, diagnosed six months ago and still in his honeymoon, is taking Lantus once a day and 1 unit of Humalog per 15-20 grams of carb. Despite a normal fasting before-meal breakfast blood glucose, he seems to need even more Humalog for breakfast coverage than any other meal in the day. Why would this happen? (23 Jul 2001)

97. My senior citizen mom has type 1 diabetes and is having a lot of problems, but resents any help or interference, and my dad does not want to give up his independence. My siblings and I have spoken to them, but nothing has changed for the better. What suggestions do you have and what agencies might be helpful? (22 Jul 2001)

98. My son is on an insulin pump, is having difficulty keeping the sticky tape on, and eventually the set pulls out all together. Any suggestions? (22 Jul 2001)

99. My father-in-law who is in his late eighties and has failing eyesight needs to check his blood sugar levels because he has diabetes, and, recently, hes finding it increasingly difficult to use the equipment he has at home. Is there a home blood glucose monitoring system which is more suitable for someone in his situation? (22 Jul 2001)

100. Are there any law-enforcement agencies that have less strict requirements? Any agencies where I would feel accepted? Do you think there will be any new technologies that will allow my to work a rotating shift? (22 Jul 2001)

101. If they can invent the pump, why not a monitor that works along the same line? (22 Jul 2001)

102. Would it be possible to try the SoftClix on my son's arm? Any advice? (22 Jul 2001)

103. I am 63 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 28 years, and I have recently developed "spotted" skin, like liver spots on my lower legs.I have neuropathy and am taking a prescription medication for it. Could the medication be causing this? (22 Jul 2001)

104. My daughter can't understand why this reaction (not her worst by far in terms of blood sugar readings) created such an unusual response, nor can she understand why she didn't recognize she was low. (22 Jul 2001)

105. My insurance co-pay went up, but what concerns me, is that now that co-pay only covers a 30 day supply. Before January, I could get a 90-day supply for one co-pay. I am almost paying retail prices. Has anyone else noticed that their expense for supplies has tripled? (14 Jul 2001)

106. I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and am wondering if someone uses insulin pump therapy to control their diabetes, could they ultimately eliminate the hypoglycemic episodes? Is this true? Can you explain why they would not if that is the case? (14 Jul 2001)

107. Two months ago, my niece, who has had type 1 diabetes for nearly six years, suddenly, developed hypertension, swelling in feet/legs, general puffiness, weight gain, fatigue, hot flashes, and generally not feeling well (or like herself). She was found to have hypertension and a thyroid condition. However, despite the medication, the swelling did not resolve with diuretic and continues to cause her discomfort, and a she has gained 30 pounds within the past several months. Her doctor and his colleagues are baffled and don't seem to feel the swelling and weight gain are much of an issue at all. (14 Jul 2001)

108. I have type 1 diabetes recently got married, and have been thinking about starting a family. I want nothing more than to be a mother, and my dream is to have 3-4 healthy children. Please let me know what I need to do to achieve this dream. (14 Jul 2001)

109. Are there any implantable insulin pumps on the market? (13 Jul 2001)

110. My eight year old grandson has been running in the 400+ mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] range for several days now. To get his sugar down, can/should he be allowed to go out and play to help burn off the excess sugar? As long as someone is watching him so he doesn't crash (he has before), is it safe? (13 Jul 2001)

111. I am 19 years old, have had diabetes for two years. and I am uncomfortable doing a shot almost anywhere. A few days ago, I got in a fight with a friend who teasingly stabbed me in my left breast with a clean syringe. It did not hurt. Is there any danger in injecting insulin into the breast? (13 Jul 2001)

112. My father says that people with diabetes have fruity mouth odors. Is this true? Are there any odors, from the breath or skin, that are associated with diabetes? (13 Jul 2001)

113. About two years ago, my father-in-law was diagnosed with borderline type 2 diabetes, and he was told this could be controlled with diet and exercise.We finally had him purchase a home monitor, and last night, we got a reading of 15mmol/L [270 mg/dl]. We don't know where to start with controlling this. (13 Jul 2001)

114. My 20 year girlfriend has type 1 diabetes and uses an insulin pump. If her sugar levels remain under control, will she still develop the complications later on in life? (13 Jul 2001)

115. My first child weighed 9 pounds 1 ounce, and broke her collar bone during delivery. I am now pregnant again, have gestational diabetes, and I am worried about a large baby and the same complications as the first delivery. What are my chances of a repeat delivery? (13 Jul 2001)

116. It's known that type 1 diabetes is caused by some natural action of some antibodies in the human body which kill the beta cells. The islets also contain alpha cells which produce glucagon to raise blood sugar levels in blood in case of hypoglycemia. If only beta cells are dead in type 1 diabetes, why does hypoglycemia occur when alpha cells have not been killed? Is it that all types of cells are destroyed? (13 Jul 2001)

117. I'm 16, and I'm wondering if I have hypoglycemia. When I work out I get faint and very shaky, and when I play soccer, I get so shaky I can't stand up! I hydrate myself before, during, and after all activities, and I eat every few hours, but nothing seems to help! (13 Jul 2001)

118. I have type 2 diabetes and haven't been taking my insulin, but I've been feeling okay. What' s going on? Did it go into remission? (13 Jul 2001)

119. I would like to know how to interpret my three year old son's GTT. Do you see this type of GTT in children with pre-clinical diabetes? Does diabetes take this long to come out? Are low blood sugars common early on? (13 Jul 2001)

120. My 12 year old son, who takes NPH and Regular at 7:00 am, Humalog at dinner, and NPH at bedtime, is traveling with us to Spain on a flight that leaves at 6:00 pm and arrives at 8:00 am local time the following morning. Our doctor has directed me to figure out the best way to handle the change in insulin dosage. (12 Jul 2001)

121. My eight year old son was identified as being high risk for developing diabetes through the DPT-1. Occasionally, he seems to drink a lot, is moody, and often is tired. He has had no weight loss, yet no gain for a while. We check his blood sugars occasionally when he shows these symptoms, and he has had two high readings (219 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L] and 152 mg/dl [8.4 mmol/L], two hours after a meal). At what point, should I consider a diagnosis of diabetes? Do we wait until he has more overt symptoms? (12 Jul 2001)

122. My son is hyperactive. Does gestational diabetes affect a child after birth? (12 Jul 2001)

123. I just find out that I'm having a baby, I have diabetes, and I know my blood sugars are high because I should have been taking something for it, but I didn't. I'm scared that my baby won't make it, and I guess I need to know what to eat so I don't make my blood sugar go up. What can I do until I go to the doctor? (12 Jul 2001)

124. I weigh over 300 pounds and had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage at almost 20 weeks gestation even though I lost weight. I now have gestational diabetes again, and I am now terrified of following the 2200 calorie diet, for fear that I will lose weight and hurt the baby. Are 2200 calories enough for a woman my size? (12 Jul 2001)

125. I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, I am on an insulin pump, and I am approximately 12 weeks pregnant. My A1c is 4.7%, and my endocrinologist wants me to raise my blood glucose levels which this causes me great anxiety. We often hear of the probable adverse affects of hyperglycemia on fetal growth and development and the need for tight control prior to conception and during pregnancy, but can hypoglycemia also be a problem? (12 Jul 2001)

126. My daughter has had type 1diabetes since age two and is now on an insulin pump (and we love it), but, as summer is here and she is playing soccer (and will not be held back), we have had some tape issues. Our pediatric endocrinologist mentioned an IV prep pad used by hospitals for overly sweaty patients, called All Care. Do you have any idea as to a possible source? (12 Jul 2001)

127. I recently underwent my third IVF attempt in 12 months, and was so excited to find out that it actually worked! Maybe worked too well -- triplets! What are my chances of carrying this pregnancy and delivering healthy babies? (12 Jul 2001)

128. My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago, has suddenly developed a fear of giving her injections. She has been doing them herself since leaving the hospital, but it is now taking her as long as 20 minutes. (11 Jul 2001)

129. My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, was abandoned by his father before he was born who has failed to have any contact with him. However, he's remarried now and wants to be a part of my son's life, and I'm very concerned about how visitation would work because his father has had no diabetes education. How do you even go about setting up guidelines and requirements for the visitation to be fair or is it best to terminate? (11 Jul 2001)

130. I have been trying to find information related to the MiniMed closed-loop pump system. Can you tell me if this system is currently being tested in humans? If so, how many, and how many years until it is available the general public? Is there an Internet source available to find up to date information related to the closed-loop system? (11 Jul 2001)

131. We just purchased her a new meter so that my daughter doesn't have to use her fingers, but the readings taken from her arms are 30 to 100 points different than the meter we were using. How could this be? (11 Jul 2001)

132. My 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago, has always had pretty good control by counting calories, as this is the method our doctor prefers, but in the last six weeks, he has had three hypoglycemic seizures. Do you think at this point I should switch to counting carbs rather than calories? (11 Jul 2001)

133. My nine year old son has type 1 diabetes, and his six year old brother has had some high blood sugars (146 to 178 mg/dl [8.1 to 9.9 mmol/L] ), all after a snack or meal, over a period of time. What is the normal range for blood sugars following a meal or snack? (11 Jul 2001)

134. I'm 20 years old and very active. I'm experiencing the classic symptoms of increased thirst, urination, and weight loss. I still have a lot of energy Can I have type 1 diabetes if I'm not fatigued? (11 Jul 2001)

135. My son has a burning rash under every site, and the dressings fall off. We need an adhesive dressing that doesn't burn and will stick. Do you recommend one for this particular problem? (11 Jul 2001)

136. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago which is now treated with Actos, and I am concerned because my vision seems to be blurry, and I have to blink a few times so that it is clear. I have seen my doctor who says not to worry. Is this normal? (11 Jul 2001)

137. I am a volunteer diabetes educator in a public hospital. I would like to know more about how to teach children with diabetes to take care of themselves. There isn't any kind of diabetes educator course in my country. Can you help me to find a diabetes educator course, even if in another country? (11 Jul 2001)

138. Are there any glucose sensors on the market that you can wear and have it check your sugars through the skin? Where can I get them? (11 Jul 2001)

139. I am 15 years old, have had diabetes for about six months, and my doctors said I have been in the honeymoon period for about for months, but this past week, my blood sugars have shot up to almost 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] at times no matter how much insulin I am take. Does this mean I am out of the honeymoon? Should I see my doctors right away? (10 Jul 2001)

140. My 15 year old daughter, who has had diabetes since age 12, has developed hypertension. Her physician has placed her on an ACE inhibitor, and her blood pressure has came down nicely. Could the hypertension be due to kidney problems? Do ACE inhibitors really protect the kidneys? (10 Jul 2001)

141. Can you tell me why my four year old daughter never has ketones when she is high? (10 Jul 2001)

142. Can a person be in acidosis and not have urine ketones? (10 Jul 2001)

143. My five year daughter (diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago) frequently complains of stomachaches. Tests for wheat, egg and milk protein problems were negative. What else can I check to find out the reason for the stomachaches? (10 Jul 2001)

144. We have been told to discard the vials one month after opening. There is usually more than one-half a vial of each going into the trash every month. Luckily, we have insurance that pays for insulin, but this sure seems wasteful. Any suggestions? (10 Jul 2001)

145. I was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago and recently had high thyroid antibodies. What does this mean? Should I be concerned? (10 Jul 2001)

146. My 10 year old son, who was recently diagnosed and is taking twice daily NPH and Humalog, is very hungry and wants to eat more. I feel it is wrong to stop him from eating so I have been increasing the Humalog, but I am afraid this might be wrong. Will it make the medicine less effective if he takes too much? Am I doing something that will hurt him in the long run? (10 Jul 2001)

147. For a few months now, i have felt weak and tired before meals, and hungry after meals. I also black out sometimes when I stand and have had frequent headaches. Do I have diabetes or some form of it? (10 Jul 2001)

148. My seven year old son has been shaking just before a meal, and after the meal, he is fine. Also if dinner is cooking and he has to wait, he said he is starting to see black spots. Could this be a sign of diabetes or hypoglycemia? (10 Jul 2001)

149. I'm 16, have had type 1 diabetes since age three, and use an insulin pump, but I have problems with anxiety and depression so my sugars are currently not in good control. My doctor has recommended that I switch to Paxil, but I have heard that it can cause complications in blood sugar control. Is this true? (9 Jul 2001)

150. My 20 month old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 13 months, and we are getting accustomed to reading labels on food and what to look for, but we are going to Switzerland, and I would like information about the labelling system there. (9 Jul 2001)

151. Recently, my mother, who has been going through chemotherapy, had a high blood sugar, was told she now has type 1 diabetes. What does this level really mean? (9 Jul 2001)

152. My three and a half year old son never has had any severe hypoglycemic reactions), but like most parents of a young child with diabetes, I am concerned about hypoglycemia and the fact that no one has been able to answer me specifically when damage occurs with hypoglycemia. Is there a subtle damage to the brain anytime his blood sugar goes below 4.0 mmol/L [72 mg/dl] or is there damage only when there are clear and visible symptoms? (9 Jul 2001)

153. When charts indicate mild/moderate and severe hypoglycemia, is this based on the symptoms or on blood sugar readings? (9 Jul 2001)

154. My 10 year old daughter has had diabetes since she was five. What tests are needed to check and follow my daughter's condition periodically? (9 Jul 2001)

155. My teenage daughter has had very high blood sugars and high A1c's (in the 12% range) for the last three years. I know we have issues to deal with, but why doesn't she show signs of being sick? (9 Jul 2001)

156. My three year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago, sometimes complains of his legs and feet hurting. What can I do to help him with this? Could it be from the insulin or high or low blood sugars? (9 Jul 2001)

157. Recently, I received a lab report on my son (diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two years ago) and I have questions about one of the tests: Anti-pancreatic Islet Cells Results Negative (Reference Interval Negative <11). I have never seen this test on any previous reports and was wondering why it was done. (9 Jul 2001)

158. My 14 year old daughter, diagnosed at age seven, came home from cheerleading camp with a rash on one leg from top to bottom. Only one leg, nothing anywhere else. The doctor said this could be from her not taking care of her diabetes. Can you give me more information on this? (9 Jul 2001)

159. Our 14 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since age 1, his latest A1c was 8%, and his blood pressure has been 140/80 for the past two visits so his doctor put him on an ACE inhibitor. Is this common for teens with diabetes? (9 Jul 2001)

160. I have with type 1 diabetes in excellent control of my sugars, but recently I have noticed that my big toe nails have turned purple, even though I cannot recall sustaining an injury. What is causing this? What can I do about it? (8 Jul 2001)

161. I take Ultralente about two hours after dinner with good results, and use Lispro with meals. Is there any reason I should consider using Lantus instead? (8 Jul 2001)

162. Recently I became extremely short of breath and was thought to have congestive heart failure. After taking a diuretic and losing almost 20 pounds of fluid I feel fine. Could my diabetes have caused this fluid retention? (8 Jul 2001)

163. My fasting blood sugars are 95-130 mg/dl [5.3-7.2 mmol/L] (the higher readings generally occur when I either eat a very late dinner, or when I have cold or flu symptoms. Could late meals or illness cause higher readings? Also, short fasts (five to six hours) produce a lower reading then a longer fast (eight or more). Is there any reason for this situation? (8 Jul 2001)

164. Over the last three months, my three and a half year old son has frequently had an unexplained fever for several days with numerous test not resulting in a diagnosis. I'm at my wits end, and I am wondering if hypoglycemia could be the cause, but it doesn't look like that is the answer either. Any suggestions? (8 Jul 2001)

165. My eight year old daughter was just diagnosed two months ago. Last week, she had an allergic reaction to a bug bite, her doctor put her on an antibiotic, and since then I have not been able to keep her blood sugar in good control. Is this a normal reaction to t (8 Jul 2001)

166. My son's 10 year old friend has type 2 diabetes and has recently developed an oversized bladder. The doctors here don't give him any hope and the family was told to consult a diabetes specialist in Houston, Texas. What's the best thing to do for this child? (8 Jul 2001)

167. I am 13 years old and my religion supports fasting, but ever since I've had diabetes, I haven' t been able to fast because of a fear of low/high blood sugar. Is there a way to fast and still keep my blood sugars relatively in range? (7 Jul 2001)

168. I am having difficulty dealing with my child's oppositional behaviors towards adherence to his treatment (such as dinner time situations of food intake). Would you please list some available resources to help? (7 Jul 2001)

169. I have not yet been diagnosed with diabetes, but I think I might have it because I have a slight fuzziness after meals, feel lightheaded after consuming ice cream, and have the urge to empty the bladder every now and then. What is your opinion? (7 Jul 2001)

170. My father has diabetes and takes Glucophage. We want to know what role emotions (anger, stress) play in diabetes. Today, my father's' blood sugar was high all evening. (7 Jul 2001)

171. My 10 year old daughter (type 1 diabetes for three years) has had puzzling thyroid blood tests. Can you explain the significance of high anti-TPO readings? Should her tests be repeated regularly? How often? (7 Jul 2001)

172. My 13 year old daughter has had type 1 for five and a half years. Are her kidneys starting to be affected by her diabetes, and is she more at risk for kidney disease later? (7 Jul 2001)

173. I am 46, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago, and I am having a problem finding the right way how to keep my sugar levels stable and close to normal values. (7 Jul 2001)

174. I am almost 30 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13, and I haven't been in very good control for the past few years. I have had problem with tingling and numbness in my legs, and at times, I get severe lower back pains. Is this a sign of kidney problems? (7 Jul 2001)

175. My 63 year old wife has had diabetes for 12 years. Is there a connection between severe hearing loss and diabetes? (7 Jul 2001)

176. I am a 31 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for 22 years, and I am beginning to have trouble with flexor tenosynovitis in my index fingers. I work in an office and type constantly. I've had one injection to relieve trigger finger, but the pain/problem seems to be returning. Are there physical exercises and/or vitamin therapies for this type of problem? (6 Jul 2001)

177. About two years ago, my 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and, about three months later, she started experiencing some disturbing symptoms. She's every test imaginable, and her diabetes doctor says it must be depression. Please direct me to a research facility that can give me more information. (6 Jul 2001)

178. My seven year old has type 1 diabetes, and I have been hearing about the "GlucoWatch". Who makes it? Is it it available yet? (6 Jul 2001)

179. My 15 year old son was diagnosed about a month ago, and I'm concerned that his doctor did not tell me about getting glucose shots in case of a bad spell of low blood sugar. Just yesterday, he was in the low 50s mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] twice. Shouldn't I make him carry a shot just in case? (6 Jul 2001)

180. My 35 year old friend (5 feet 11 inches, 385 pounds) has just been told he has type 2 diabetes, and drinks, smokes, and gets little exercise. What are his odds? I plan to show him your answer,in an effort to help him. (6 Jul 2001)

181. What is the best and fastest way for a woman with type 1 diabetes to have a healthy conception? (6 Jul 2001)

182. My seven year old son, diagnosed with type1 diabetes about a year and half ago, wants to stay overnight at a friend's house. It would be nice if we could draw up the insulin in the evening for his morning injection (he gives his own injection because, at age seven, we don't feel he is mature enough to draw up the insulin). How long is a mixture of Regular and NPH insulin "good" in the syringe? (6 Jul 2001)

183. My three year old son has two of the symptoms of diabetes is being tested. I was wondering if irritation was a sign of diabetes. (6 Jul 2001)

184. Can an 11 month old infant who has diabetes be cured permanently at this advanced stage? (6 Jul 2001)

185. Initially, I was able to control my diabetes with a sulfonylurea, and, moreover for three years, I was able to control it with exercise alone. However, suddenly, two weeks ago, despite eating the same and doing the same exercise, my blood sugar went totally crazy. (6 Jul 2001)

186. My son, who has type 1 diabetes and multiple problems including celiac disease developed a severe rash on his feet accompanied by severe pain. The rash disappeared, but the pain didn't. Could the severe pain be diabetic neuropathy? (5 Jul 2001)

187. I'm 16 years old and would like to go on a trip to Spain and Portugal with my high school next year. What precautions would I have to take to bring syringes into a foreign country? Any information on traveling long distances without parental supervision would be greatly appreciated. (5 Jul 2001)

188. My 11 year old son, diagnosed with diabetes about 11 months ago, has had dairy intolerance, and I have read that many people with diabetes test positive for it. If we eliminate the offending food, could we possibly get him off of insulin injections? (5 Jul 2001)

189. Recently, I was out in the sun and I got a really bad sunburn, and later that night, I got a horrible headache and I felt sick to my stomach. My mom thinks it may have had something to do with my diabetes. Is that possible? (5 Jul 2001)

190. What difference is there in blood glucose taken from the forearm as opposed to one from the fingertips? (5 Jul 2001)

191. My 46 year old sister, who has type 1 diabetes with many complications is bedfast, no longer having the strength to reposition herself in her bed. My family and I are desperate to find some facility which can provide the necessary care needed for our sister and daughter. Is there such a facility for people with diabetes that is covered by Medicare and/or Medicaid? (5 Jul 2001)

192. I am almost 30 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13, and I haven't been in very good control for the past few years, but I am ready to change things. I am concerned with future complications since I have not been faithful. At what age do problems start to occur? What are some warning signs to watch for? (5 Jul 2001)

193. My 24 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since age four, is having trouble with his blood sugar at work and they want to fire him so he stopped taking his shot at night, but is still running low. Is it possible that he is now making insulin again after all these years? (5 Jul 2001)

194. I was told my blood glucose was 167 mg/dl [9.3 mmol/L] and that it needed to drop it 30 points. My random readings at home are all are under 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. I don't know what readings are acceptable, and I don't know the right times to check my levels. (5 Jul 2001)

195. I am a 50 year old female who has had diabetes for about seven years, and recently I have had difficulty getting blood with a lancet device. I have reset the depth of the lancet, switched devices, and tried it with no device, still no blood. Any suggestions? (5 Jul 2001)

196. My 15 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. How close are we to finding a cure for it? (4 Jul 2001)

197. My husband has been on 70/30 insulin for five months, and I have been having difficulty trying to regulate his sugar, in spite of a stable diet. The doctor has had me go up only one unit every three days in an attempt to find the right dosage. However, our doctor also gave me a prescription for Regular insulin to have on hand to bring down any "highs". (4 Jul 2001)

198. Why are diet sodas bad for you? (4 Jul 2001)

199. I have reactive hypoglycemia and absence seizures, and have had difficulty regulating my blood sugar since I was a child. I frequently pass out or if not completely unconscious, feel as though I maneuvering through a dense fog in my brain. Is this what the doctors mean by "absence seizures"? (4 Jul 2001)

200. I had a body odor that smelled almost like soured sweat. I took several showers trying to get rid of it with no luck. My adopted father had diabetes so I knew what the smell was that I was smelling. I checked some blood sugars that were high. Should I call my doctor or should I wait and see if can get it to come down on my own with diet? (4 Jul 2001)

201. On and off for a year or more, my 11 year old son has episodes of headaches, at times gets nauseated, and other times, he must go to bed. Sometimes it happens early evening, sometimes first thing in the morning, and sometimes these symptoms last for a few days. I suspect hypoglycemia and would like my son tested, but I'm not sure of the symptoms of hypoglycemia or diabetes. What would you think? (4 Jul 2001)

202. My doctor told me I might be a little insulin intolerant, but didn't seem too concerned about it. What does that mean? Should I be doing anything about it? (4 Jul 2001)

203. I recently began to drink tea instead of coffee because I heard it's better and provides a bigger boost from the caffeine. I like it so much that I drink about four to six cups a day. Is there any truth to the statement that "Drinking tea will cause diabetes"? (4 Jul 2001)

204. I couldn't find any clear book or article that explains type 2 diabetes, and I found it very hard to understand the whole concept. Can anyone explain briefly or recommend books? (4 Jul 2001)

205. Is it possible to have kidney disease before diabetes? (4 Jul 2001)

206. My 17 year old son who has been on a pump for a week, has had two episodes of extremely high glucose readings. The first resolved fairly easily even though he had large ketones in his urine, but he was very sick with vomiting and fatigue during this second one. What varying factors are there to explain the difference? Could my son still have been in DKA with very high blood sugar and only a trace of ketones? (3 Jul 2001)

207. My grandson might have diabetes. I would like to know what kind of test they are going to be running on him, to see if it is diabetes or not. (3 Jul 2001)

208. Since I was put on a diabetes pill, I have been having ringing in my ears and my toes are in constant pain. What is this hgt test? Why do my toes ache? (3 Jul 2001)

209. My husband, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, has lost a great deal of weight and cannot get any back on. He is currently taking a diabetes pill before meals and won't take insulin. What should I do ? (3 Jul 2001)

210. I am currently mixing the two brands of insulin because my pharmacists here told there is no difference and one is less expensive. Can the two brands of insulin be mixed? What is the difference between the two? (3 Jul 2001)

211. My 12 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I am trying to find out whether growth development problems can occur with poorly controlled diabetes. If so, how poor would control have to be to cause problems? (3 Jul 2001)

212. My friend's three year old was diagnosed with diabetes, and at that time, he was almost completely toilet trained, but now he has regressed and is in Pull-Ups. He is now three and a half years old and is running some very high blood sugars. Do the high blood sugars affect his ability to toilet train? (3 Jul 2001)

213. My son's pediatrician recently told me that he thinks my three year old (whose father has type 1) has diabetes. Are there any specific tests I should be asking for? How do you explain the necessity of all the finger pokes and needles to a three year old? (3 Jul 2001)

214. Our marriage is falling apart, and I would like to know if my wife's lack diabetes control could possibly be our largest problem. She finally said she would see our doctor but that was over six months ago, she never went and is getting progressively more depressed. Should I force her to see our doctor? (3 Jul 2001)

215. My 15 year old son, who has had diabetes for a year and a half and is in great control, is planning to go on the Boundary Water canoe trip, and now (with three weeks to go) his doctor is getting "cold feet" about the idea. Any suggestions? (3 Jul 2001)

216. I have no problem getting or maintaining an erection. I have trouble having an orgasm. My endocrinologist says this is caused by neuropathy. (2 Jul 2001)

217. I hear a voice telling me to stop taking my insulin and that as long as I do not eat and only drink water I will be fine. My psychologist questions the validity of this assertion. Is there any evidence that other people with type 1 diabetes have stopped taking insulin without any detrimental effects? (2 Jul 2001)

218. My 20 year old son has had a couple of times when he has gotten very low in his sleep. Luckily, we have checked on him and had to call 911. It worries me as he may move out after finishing college, and I fear for him living alone, because he will not carry diabetes identification or say that he has diabetes. What is the best thing to do? (2 Jul 2001)

219. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 11 months after being involved in a serious accident. How likely is it, or how difficult to determine, that her diabetes was caused by possible damage to her pancreas during this accident? (2 Jul 2001)

220. My son just recently was put on the pump and we are having some problems with the school. I have contacted the pump company, and they state they know nothing about a 504 plan for pump users. Could you please let me know were I would get the information? (2 Jul 2001)

221. When someone is receiving insulin shots in the honeymoon period, is it really resting their pancreas? Does the pancreas recognize the extra dose of insulin in enough time to prevent a low from occurring? (2 Jul 2001)

222. I was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia, and my doctor wants me to use a glucose monitor because sometimes I can't tell if I'm too low, and I am nervous about the regular fingersticker monitors. How do they work? Do they hurt? How do you use them? (2 Jul 2001)

223. I am 16 years old and my last three hemoglobin A1c tests were 6.4, 6.1, and 6.7%, but I have been getting some blood sugars in the high 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and a few in the low 300s mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. Can you please tell me if my hemoglobin A1c tests are okay and what I need to do to prevent complications and lead a full and healthy life? (2 Jul 2001)

224. I have been using a pump user for about two months and have had a problem with tape allergies and began using just Tegaderm under the sites which alleviated the problem but I still have rashes from about a month ago. How long does it usually take for site rashes to go away? Would you advise seeing a dermatologist? (2 Jul 2001)

225. My fiancee went to bed at about 1 am with a blood sugar of 5.1 mmol/L [91.8 mg/dl], but when I woke at 7 am, she had a seizure. I got her to swallow some sugar, but I called the paramedics anyway and they gave her a glucagon injection. Are these problems that are commonly experienced after a hypo episode and a glucagon injection? (2 Jul 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts