Question:

From Victoria, British Columbia, Canada:

I am 20 years old, was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia, and my doctor wants me to use a glucose monitor because sometimes I can't tell if I'm too low. I don't think I could afford one of those new non-invasive monitors and I am nervous about the regular fingersticker monitors. How do they work? Do they hurt? How do you use them?

Answer:

If you have hypoglycemia, you only need to do glucose testing on a very occasional basis. Perhaps your doctor has one he can loan to you, or many times, free ones are available. The newest ones that use sites other than the fingertips (so there is far less pain from pricking to get the drop of blood) are the FreeStyle and the One Touch® Ultra. You should receive training regardless of which meter you use.

LSF