From Dundee, Scotland:

I am 39 years old, have type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and my hemoglobin A1c results have been in the range of 5.4-6.2% for several years. I hear a voice telling me to stop taking my insulin and that as long as I do not eat and only drink water I will be fine. My psychologist questions the validity of this assertion. Is there any evidence that other people with type 1 diabetes have stopped taking insulin without any detrimental effects?

Without a doubt, this would not be a good strategy for you. Individuals with type 1 diabetes need (at bare minimum) basal insulin between meals to prevent very high blood sugars. Your liver will put out too much sugar between meals so that even if you don't eat, the sugars will be high. If you stop your insulin, you run a very high risk of DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis].

Posted to Behavior and Insulin