Question:

From Mississippi, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years. I take Monopril, however my endocrinologist switched me to Diovan about 10 days ago. I have no problem getting or maintaining an erection. I have trouble having an orgasm. My endocrinologist says this is caused by neuropathy. I am confused because I can still feel everything fine, and I thought neuropathy was damage of the nerves. I am trying a new blood pressure medication to see if that will help. So far it has not. Have you heard of this problem, and if so give me some information?

Answer:

I think it's all too common and I don't think I have a very good answer. I would suggest a urological workup, if possible with a urologist who specialized in sexual dysfunction.

KS

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

It sounds like there is normal erection. However, reaching orgasm is a problem. There have been some treatments used to enhance sympathetic nerve tone which have been useful in allowing patients to reach orgasm. I would also suggest a systematic search of medications to see if any of these may be the cause and can be changed.