From Bountiful, Utah, USA:

My son's pediatrician recently told me that he thinks my three year old (whose father has type 1) has diabetes. Are there any specific tests I should be asking for? How do you explain the necessity of all the finger pokes and needles to a three year old?

I would ask for a referral to a pediatric diabetes team as soon as possible. They can direct you as to how to proceed. There are glucose monitoring systems that use very little blood and are about as painless as one can get.

[Editor's comment: See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for some guidelines about testing. SS]