Question:

From Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA:

My doctor told me I might be a little insulin intolerant, but she didn't seem too concerned about it. What does that mean? Should I be doing anything about it?

Answer:

Your doctor probably meant you have some insulin resistance which means that your insulin doesn't work properly. This can be treated with diet and some new drugs. If and when to start any treatment should be decided by your doctor only. In your case, it seems she sees no need to start any treatment now.

[Editor's comment: If you smoke, are overweight, have high lipid levels, hypertension, and/or heart disease, it'd be very important to quit smoking, find a reasonable meal plan, start (or continue exercising), and watch closely for the possible future development of diabetes. WWQ]