From South Elgin, Illinois, USA:

On and off for a year or more, my 11 year old son has episodes of headaches, at times gets nauseated, and other times, he must go to bed. Sometimes it happens early evening, sometimes first thing in the morning, and sometimes these symptoms last for a few days.He has been seen by doctors who haven' t tested him for anything yet, and, since it happens on and off, they just told me to keep a head ache log. He is very thin, and very active. Plays ice hockey a few times a week, and does not like to eat a lot. I suspect hypoglycemia since my mother has it, but the doctors never seem worried. I would like my son tested, but I'm not sure of the symptoms of hypoglycemia or diabetes. What would you think?

The best "test" that can be done for your son is to have a thorough history and physical examination done by a pediatrician you trust. That physician will be able to direct you to any testing that may be appropriate.

Hypoglycemia is actually a very rare disorder, and your son's symptoms cannot be attributed clearly to a blood sugar problem unless testing supports that diagnosis. There are certainly many other problems that children may have that could easily explain the symptoms you are seeing.

[Editor's comment: See: symptoms of diabetes. SS]